[Updated 31st October 2017]As a manager, you are expected to give advice, guidance, motivation and inspiration to your team. It’s helpful to have sources at the ready that guide and inspire you.
Here are nine management blogs to help you develop your leadership skills.
1. The Chief Happiness Officer
Alexander Kjerulf’s blog focuses on creating a work environment with happy, motivated employees. He writes quick thoughts and full posts addressing the subject.
Here are three blog posts we recommend:
- Teach employees to disagree with the boss
- Kill the suggestion box
- Top 5 business maxims that have to go
2. The Management Blog by BusinessWeek
BusinessWeek brings you articles that look at the business side of management to help you keep an eye on the bigger picture.
Some highlights include:
3. Penelope Trunk
Penelope is well known for honest, straight-forward career advice from her experience in four startups. She currently writes from a farm in rural Wisconsin and offers stories and unique insight into career and management.
Here's some sound advice from her:
4. The John Maxwell Co.
John Maxwell has been working in organisational development for 40 years and offers insight about leading teams and managing people.
Some thoughts on leadership include:
- How to tell a player apart from a pretender
- Ask not what your people can do for you …
- Practicing disciplines today that will lead to success tomorrow
5. Harvard Business Review Blog Network
HBR is sponsored by Harvard University with daily posts from a number of contributors. They address a manager’s role as well as articles about industries and business.
- How to spend the first ten minutes of your day
- Don’t do what you love; do what you do
- Managing two people who hate each other
6. Presentation Zen
As a manager, you will find yourself making formal, informal, planned and unplanned presentations. This blog can give you guidance on how to speak, so that you can influence people.
Read these first:
- Story structure, simplicity and hacking away at the unessential
- Change and the art of small victories
This online magazine caters to entrepreneurs and startups, but the underlying theme is leadership in business and in your work environment.
Here's their take on leadership:
- 5 key decisions that will shape your career
- How to be a better listener
- 9 types of bosses you never want to be
8. Ask a manager
This blog is run by Alison Green and is in the form of Q & A. Its popularity stems from real scenarios and real answers to both the expected and the astonishing in the world of management.
9. Management Issues
The wise words on this blog come from regular and guest contributors. They focus on junior to mid-level management topics.
While you’re balancing your own tasks with managing a team, you don’t have time to sift through worthless resources or search for that one blog you read once and liked. Sign up for a tool like Feedly or Bloglovin', instead. It gives you regular updates from the blogs you follow.
advice for new managers , best blogs for managers , Leadership , People management